Thursday 19 April 2012

IPL chief seeks report over Preity Zinta's incident


New Delhi: Chairman of the Indian Premier League (IPL) Rajeev Shukla on Thursday said that he had sought a report from the match referee over the incident involving Kings XI Punjab’s owner Preity Zinta during her side's match against Kolkata Knight Riders in Mohali on Wednesday.
Zinta was seen visibly agitated and reacting vigorously against the controversial dismissal of Punjab’s Shaun Marsh. Shukla said that he had asked the match referee Roshan Mahanama to submit a report to him at the earliest on the incident. "I have sought a report from the match referee on the entire issue. I will also take Preity Zinta's version," Shukla told PTI.

Marsh was ruled out in a controversial manner when he edged a Brett Lee delivery, with KKR’s wicketkeeper Manvinder Bisla nodding that he had taken the catch cleanly, and the on-field umpire ruling him out, even though TV replays suggested there was enough doubt.
Earlier on Thursday, Punjab’s captain Adam Gilchrist said that he did not hear any adverse comments from the umpires for Zinta. Asked if there had been any violation of rules on Zinta's part, Gilchrist said, "For that you have to ask the match referee or the umpire. I don't know if she had any word with any umpire or not. I don't know what exchanges happened there on the sidelines. But, I have not heard any negative comment from either the match referee or the umpire. I can only assume that nothing has been transgressed there."
Gilchrist said he told Zinta that he would handle the situation and she happily agreed. "I was on the sidelines and asked her if she would allow him to control the situation and she happily did. She is a passionate supporter, a team co-owner and a fan of this game. I do not know what she was going to say to me when I told her that I will handle this after which she respected that and sat down," Gilchrist said.
He said going by the replays, even he was not convinced and thought, "There was a huge element of doubt there. A lot of uncertainty about whether the ball carried, but whatever the opinion was I just wanted to make sure that Preity [Zinta], the team and the rest of the support crew were simply abiding by the umpire's decision, who had given Shaun out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment